Feeling the awesomeness that is life

We are a little more than 17 weeks away from our second go-round with Ironman Lake Placid. And, I know we have entered a new phase in the training. …Not because the volume is increasing. …Not because speed and hill work are weekly regulars in the training schedule. …Not because I need more sleep to make up for the longer training hours. …Not because the pantry is bare just days after we stock it. Nope. None of these. I know it’s a new phase in the training because I’m weepy. I am not a did not used to be weepy …

The ideal size

In the summer, I was talking with my friend Courtney about life after the ironman. (Yes, life now is split officially into the BIM “before ironman” period and AIM “after ironman” period.) “Are you going to be working out as much?” Courtney asked. “Oh, no! We’ll be able to have a life again, less working out – more time for hanging out,” I replied. “Are you going to be okay with that?” I’ve known Courtney since I was about 11 years old. She knows me as well as any other person could. And, she got right to the heart of …

The Best Year Ever

Saturday, December 11th is my birthday. And, to celebrate, John and I are going to see Railroad Earth and the Hackensaw Boys at the World Cafe in Philadelphia. Naturally, I am excited. “This is a GREAT way to cap off the best year of my life so far!” “Wow…I didn’t realize finishing an ironman was that big for you.” John immediately hit on a key contributing factor as to why my 37th year has been the best one yet. Certainly, part of what made this year great was setting and achieving difficult goals, such as completing an ironman and running …

What will I learn today?

About a year ago, I met with my University’s public relations guru, Barbara. (She is a media coverage rainmaker!) She had heard that I was training for my first Ironman, and that I would be raising money for a scholarship during the process. She wanted to help me promote the scholarship. We had lunch, during which she asked a series of questions about my athletic and academic history, about the training, about my motivation for raising money for the Iron Scholarship. At one point she asked, “Has this training helped you be a better teacher?” At the time, I said …

The first time finish line

I’m addicted to the first time. You know: The first marathon. The first triathlon. The first 50k. The first ironman. And, this weekend, my first 50-miler: The Vermont 50. Crossing the finish line of any race is exhilarating. The feeling of accomplishment, of achieving a goal that you’ve set and steadfastly worked toward. Only you made it happen for yourself. Of course, finishing feels wonderful no matter how many times you’ve done that race before. But, hold up a minute. When you cross the finish line of your first attempt at a new event, the feeling is absolutely and overwhelmingly …

My bucket list isn’t getting any shorter…

Despite the fact that I have been systematically checking things off my bucket list (marathon, ultra, Ironman, and so on), it continues to grow. The newest addition? Thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. The latest desire is a result of a training run that John and I took last weekend along 20 miles of the Appalachian Trail. Apparently, the bucket list is a little bit like knowledge: the more you know, the more you realize you want to know. The more we do, the more we realize we want to do. We had traveled to Vermont seeking a training weekend in preparation …

Regular life

After months and months of preparation for my first Ironman in Lake Placid, it seems that I failed to prepare for one thing: the post-Ironman blues. I had read about feeling depressed or sad after completing endurance events, such as an Ironman, but I was in denial that such a state of mind would creep into my consciousness. Pre-race, I thought: Depressed?! Are you kidding? I’ll be so pumped to have my “regular” life back. Guess what? Turns out that “regular life” has changed, and I am sad, irritable, edgy, unfocused, and  listless. I find myself recalling fondly, nostalgically even, …

Moments of perfection

My grandfather died last Thursday, just a day before his 89th birthday. A kind, caring family man, my grandfather lived his almost-89 years to their fullest. His life and actions serve as a model for the life well-lived. At his memorial service on Monday, my cousin Deb told a story about my grandfather’s craftsmanship. My grandfather, Buddy as everyone called him, was installing an air conditioning unit, with the help of his brother. Buddy measured and measured, and then cut a hole in the wall for the unit. Despite his brother’s doubt that the appliance would fit, my grandfather was …

Defining moments

Yesterday, my husband John and I attended a funeral for a close friend’s mother. I did not know Bill’s mother Gloria personally, but in listening to all that was said during and after the service, it is clear that her presence on this earth touched many people, and their lives are the better for it. I am sad for my friend’s loss; having lost my father 11 years ago, I know how deeply that pain cuts. The wound never heals. Just as people were about to leave the service, Bill approached the podium. “I’d like to ask everyone to hold …

Find your *something*

“I could never do that.” OR “I wish I could do that.” OR “I don’t know how you can train so much. I would die.” Through much of my training, I’ve heard people say these statements (or similar ones). I know people are saying these things in a complimentary way – and I am grateful for the support and words of encouragement. Yet, as odd as it may seem, these statements make me feel uncomfortable. I’m convinced that each of us have the potential to do and achieve amazing things. There’s no reason to wish to be able to do …